NSD would not exist without the hard work and dedication of our 400+ volunteers. In 2011, 561,000 hours of volunteer time were donated to NSD. This represents the same amount of hours worked by 270 full-time employees and a savings of over $5,000,000 for the organization.
- Evening Enrichment Program (formerly the Dog Walking Program): Volunteers are needed Monday through Thursday from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. to assist with our Advanced Training Dogs. The dogs are rotated through three stations for a run in our leash-free park, a brush and massage in our red room, and downtime in their kennel for our Read & Relax Program.
- Weekend Sitting: Weekend Sitters are needed to care for our Advanced Training Dogs from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening. This provides the dogs with a relaxing weekend in a quiet home environment so they can return rested and ready for work on Monday. Volunteers must have experience with our Evening Enrichment or Puppy Raising Program before becoming a Weekend Sitter.
- Fundraising: Volunteers are needed to assist with various fundraising events and initiatives. These include our annual Easter Egg Hunt for Dogs, Motorcycle Ride for Autism & Veterans, our Open House, and Mantracking, along with third party events. Volunteers work with our staff to ensure the success of each of these events and enhance the experience for all participants.
- Administration: Volunteers are needed to assist with tax receipting, filing, mail outs, and various other administrative duties.
- Building & Yard Maintenance: National Service Dogs operates out of a large century home with a big property that requires a lot of upkeep. Volunteers are needed to assist with general painting and repairs, electrical and plumbing work, lawn mowing, and gardening.
- Puppy Raising: Please visit our Puppy Raising page for more information on this opportunity.
Each year, NSD recognizes the outstanding contributions of our volunteers at our annual open house. The Shade, Brodie, Danielle Forbes, Chris Fowler and Heather Fowler awards are presented to volunteers in all areas of NSD. For more information on the Founder’s Awards, visit our Open House page.
To become part of our amazing team of volunteers, please contact Breana at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-623-4188, ext. 20. If you have a couple of hours once a week, once every two weeks or once in a while, we can use your help.